All You Need
- 2 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, trimmed and cut into thin coins
- 1 celery stalk, trimmed and chopped
- 1 potato, scrubbed, dried and cut into cubes (skin on)
- 5 tsp (25 mL) Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- ¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups (675 mL) Kitchen Basics No Salt Added Chicken Broth
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 4 cups (1 L) torn cooked chicken breasts
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas or sweet corn
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) roughly chopped parsley
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed but cold
- Egg wash: 1 egg mixed with 2 tsp (20 mL) water
Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Heat large saucepan over medium heat. Add bacon with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water and cook, stirring until browned and crisp, 4 minutes. Add onion, carrot, celery and cook until softened, 6-7 minutes.
Stir in potato and paste, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in butter and then flour, stirring to coat vegetables for 1 minute.
Gradually add broth and salt, stirring until sauce is smooth. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes until thickened. Stir in chicken, peas and cream and sprinkle in parsley. Pour mixture into 2L baking dish.
Drape pastry overtop of pie, leaving 1-inch (2.5 cm) overhang, cutting away excess with scissors, pressing and crimping onto edge. Cut vents in dough and brush with egg wash. Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake until crust is browned and filling is bubbling around edge, 35-40 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Tip! Roll dough a few inches larger than the dish, folding it up and over, pinching as you go to form a decorative edge.
Tip! Poach boneless, skinless chicken breast in No Salt Added Chicken Broth for best flavour and strain remaining broth to use in pot pie.
Tip! Make-ahead: Let filling completely cool up to 3 days ahead. Assemble and bake following instructions.