Crispy Coconut Tofu Tacos with Avocado Crema
These tacos pack a punch! Coconut-crusted tofu, zesty slaw and cooling avocado crema add layers of crunch and flavour. Perfect for a hot summer night!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Makes: 12 tacos / servings
All You Need
- 1 package (350 g) firm or medium-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 can (400 mL) Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk, divided
- 3 limes, juiced, divided
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) Club House Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) Club House Chili Powder
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder, divided
- 1 1/2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Prepared Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Black Peppercorn Grinder
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded red cabbage
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Crushed Red Pepper, optional
- 24 corn tortillas
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Cut tofu into 1-in (2.5 cm) cubes.
Add flour to one mixing bowl. In another mixing bowl combine bread crumbs with shredded coconut, garlic powder, chili powder, and 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt. In another mixing bowl combine 1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk with juice of ½ lime.
Coat tofu cubes in flour. Take a cube at a time and dredge through the coconut milk and lime juice mixture, then cover in the bread crumb mixture. Set pieces onto prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes, flipping the pieces half way through to get all sides golden brown.
For the slaw, combine the cabbage, red bell pepper, cilantro, juice of ½ lime and crushed red pepper in a bowl and refrigerate until serving the tacos.
For the avocado crema, take the pit out of the avocados and scoop the flesh into a blender. Add the remaining 2/3 cup (150 mL) coconut milk, juice of 2 limes, minced garlic, hot sauce, onion powder and ¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper; blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve the tacos.
Assemble each taco on 2 tortillas. Add some slaw first, then 4-5 cubes of crispy coconut tofu, and drizzle with avocado crema.