Hibachi Pork Lettuce Wraps with Carrot Daikon Quick Pickle
These lettuce wraps are stuffed with juicy pork and a crunchy bite from quick-pickled carrot and daikon. A great appetizer or light dinner.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Makes: 6 servings
All You Need
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 1/2 tsp (12 mL) salt
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Billy Bee Honey
- 7 1/2 tbsp (112 mL) rice vinegar, divided
- Juice of 1 lime, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly julienne or shredded carrot
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly julienne or shredded daikon
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) extra lean ground pork
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Simply Asia Sweet & Smoky Hibachi Seasoning, divided
- 1 package (227 g) cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Prepared Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Ground Ginger
- 1 can (227 mL) water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sesame oil
- Club House Sea Salt Grinder and Club House Black Peppercorn Grinder, to taste
- Boston lettuce leaves, separated
- McCormick Gourmet Sesame Seeds, to garnish
- Green Onion, thinly sliced on a bias, to garnish
- Red hot chili pepper, thinly sliced, to garnish
In a small saucepan, heat the water with the salt and honey until it dissolves. Add in 6 tbsp (90 mL) vinegar and juice of ½ lime.
Place the carrot and daikon in a glass container or bowl and cover with the pickling liquid. Allow it to sit while you work on the rest of the meal.
Heat 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat, before adding in the ground pork. Break the pieces apart and season with 2 tsp (10 mL) Sweet & Smoky Hibachi Seasoning. Continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink before transferring a bowl and setting aside.
In a small food processor, pulse the mushrooms until they break down into the same size and shape as ground meat.
Add another 1 tsp (5 mL) oil to the skillet, then add in the green onions, chopped mushrooms, garlic, ginger and remaining 2 tsp (10 mL) Sweet & Smoky Hibachi Seasoning. Sauté until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Meanwhile, add the water chestnuts to the food processor and pulse until they break into small pieces. Add the water chestnuts, hoisin sauce, remaining 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) vinegar, soy sauce, remaining lime juice and sesame oil and stir until coated. Add the pork and heat until warmed through.
Spoon a few heaping tablespoons of the meat into the Boston lettuce leaves and top with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the drained pickled vegetables. Finish with a sprinkling of sesame seeds, green onions and chili pepper, if desired.
Tip: Want to save some time? Instead of making the carrot daikon quick pickle, top lettuce wraps with Thai Kitchen Sweet Red Chili Sauce.