Rendang Curry Paste
Rendang curry is a rich, fragrant and mildly spicy blend of aromatic ingredients including chilies, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, tamarind, coriander and turmeric. It is most commonly used to make Rendang Beef, a signature slow-cooked curry dish popular throughout Southeast Asia.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Makes: 2 ½ cups (625 mL) or 20 (2 tbsp/30 mL) servings
All You Need
- 6 green onions, trimmed of root ends
- 3 stalks fresh lemongrass, removed of outer layers and trimmed to white fleshy part
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 heads of garlic, cloves peeled
- 3 ½ oz (100 g) fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) tamarind concentrate (paste)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) McCormick Gourmet Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Coriander Seed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Cloves
Place all ingredients in food processor; cover. Process until almost smooth.
Store in clean, tightly covered container in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Tip! Coconut sugar is made from sap extracted from the coconut tree. It tastes somewhat similar to brown sugar with a hint of caramel. It can be found in the organic and baking aisles of the supermarket.
Tip! Tamarind concentrate or paste is a thick fruit pulp that is tart, slightly sweet and fruity. It is popular in Indian, Middle Eastern, Asian, African and Latin American cuisines. It is used to flavour dishes, and to make candies, condiments and beverages.
Tip! Use Rendang Curry to prepare Rendang Curry Short Ribs with Coconut Rice and Sweet and Sour Rendang Chicken Wings.