Grilled Korean BBQ Brussels Sprouts
Eat your Brussels sprouts! This batch is sweet. Spicy. Savory. And oh-so-delish, thanks to a slew of Asian-inspired flavours – including Korean pepper paste (Gochujang), soy sauce, ground ginger and more. Grilled to perfection, the crispy texture and bold flavours of this side dish are melt-in-your-mouth good.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes + 30 minutes refrigeration
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Makes: 6 servings
All You Need
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Korean pepper paste (Gochujang)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Ginger
- 1 lb (500 g) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- ¼ lb (125 g) shiitake mushrooms, halved if large
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) McCormick Gourmet Sesame Seed, toasted
Mix pepper paste, vinegar, oil, soy sauce, sugar, garlic powder, and ginger in medium bowl until well blended. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 mL) marinade. Place Brussels sprouts and red pepper in large resealable bag or glass dish. Add remaining marinade, toss to coat well.
Refrigerate 30 minutes. Remove vegetables from marinade. Place vegetables in grill basket. Add mushrooms; toss gently.
Grill over medium-high heat 10 minutes, or until tender-crisp and lightly charred, turning occasionally. Remove from heat. Toss vegetables with reserved marinade in large bowl. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Test Kitchen Tip: Korean pepper paste or Gochujang is a fermented chile and bean paste. It is used to flavour stews, soups and marinades, and as a condiment at the table. It is available in Asian markets and online specialty stores.
Test Kitchen Tip: To toast sesame seeds, heat small skillet on medium heat. Add sesame seeds; sauté 2 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Immediately pour out of hot pan to avoid over-toasting.