Pigeon Pea Tacos al Pastor with Coconut Lime Slaw
This hearty, meat-free twist on classic tacos al pastor features a protein-packed filling of spiced pigeon peas, tomatoes and pineapple paired with a cooling coconut-lime cabbage slaw.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Makes: 6 (2 taco) servings
All You Need
- COCONUT LIME SLAW
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Billy Bee Honey
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup (50 mL) flaked coconut
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- PIGEON PEA TACOS AL PASTOR
- 2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped pineapple
- 1 can (425 mL) brown pigeon peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp (10 mL) McCormick Gourmet Oregano Leaves
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) McCormick Gourmet Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Smoked Paprika
- 12 taco shells, warmed
For the Slaw, mix lime juice, olive oil and honey in medium bowl until well blended. Add cabbage, coconut and cilantro; toss to coat. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Tacos, heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add tomatoes and pineapple; sauté 2 to 3 minutes or until softened. Add pigeon peas and seasonings; cook until heated through. Serve pigeon pea mixture in warm taco shells topped with Coconut Lime Slaw.
Tip! Pigeon peas are considered a pulse, in the legume family, that range from green to brownish in colour. However, when skinned and split, they are yellow in colour and known as Toor dal or Toovar dal. Pigeon peas have a pleasant, slightly sweet, nutty taste. They are commonly found dried or canned in most groceries, Latin and Indian markets or online specialty stores.