Mezcal Marinated Bison with Roasted Tomato Sofrito
In this Latin twist on steak dinner, lean and flavourful Bison steaks are marinated with a Mezcal lime pepper combination before getting a hot sear on the grill. Accompanied by a roasted tomato, bacon and poblano sofrito, this robust entrée delivers bold, savoury and smoky flavours.
- Prep Time: 30 min + 1 hour refrigeration
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Makes: 8 servings
All You Need
- MEZCAL LIME PEPPER
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) McCormick Gourmet Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) mescal
- ½ tsp (2 mL) grated lime peel
- MARINATED BISON
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mescal
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Garlic Salt
- 2 lb (1 kg) boneless sirloin bison steaks
- ROASTED TOMATO SOFRITO
- 6 medium plum tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mescal, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- ½ tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Garlic Salt
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon
- ¾ cup (175 mL) finely chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped poblano chilies
- 2 tsp (10 mL) McCormick Gourmet Crushed Chipotle Pepper
For the Mezcal Lime Pepper, mix all ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
For the Marinated Bison, mix mezcal, oil, garlic salt and 1 tsp (5 mL) Mezcal Lime Pepper in large resealable plastic bag. Add bison steaks; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 1 hour or longer for extra flavour.
Meanwhile, for the Roasted Tomato Sofrito, mix tomatoes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) mezcal, oil and garlic salt in medium bowl. Arrange in single layer on large shallow foil-lined baking pan sprayed with no stick cooking spray. Roast in 450°F (230°C) oven 30 minutes or until tomatoes are soft and brown on top. Let cool. Coarsely chop; set aside.
While tomatoes cool, cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon. Crumble and set aside. Remove all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) drippings from skillet. Heat drippings on high heat. Add onion and poblano chilies; sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Add chipotle pepper; sauté 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir in reserved tomatoes, bacon and remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) mezcal. Set aside.
Remove steaks from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. Rub steaks with remaining Mezcal Lime Pepper. Grill or pan-fry steaks over medium-high heat 5 minutes per side or until desired doneness. Serve steaks with Roasted Tomato Sofrito.
Tip! Mezcal is a smoky Mexican liquor made from the agave plant, giving it a highly complex and distinctive flavour profile.