Matcha Baked Cod with Spinach Pesto and Tomato Salad
This light and fresh recipe stars matcha-spiced baked cod paired with spinach almond pesto and a fresh tomato and cucumber salad. Hints of white balsamic vinegar, lemon peel and matcha lend balance to a quick and wholesome fish dinner.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes refrigeration
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Makes: 6 servings
All You Need
- Matcha Baked Cod:
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon peel
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) McCormick Gourmet Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- 6 cod fillets, 4 oz/115 g each
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Matcha Green Tea with Ginger Seasoning
- Spinach Pesto:
- 1 package (5 oz/142 g) baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) white balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) McCormick Gourmet Matcha Green Tea with Ginger Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) McCormick Gourmet Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) McCormick Gourmet Garlic Powder
- Tomato Salad:
- 1 cup (250 mL) heirloom cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped cucumber
For the cod, mix vinegar, oil, lemon peel, thyme and sea salt in small bowl until well blended. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the marinade for the tomato salad. Place cod in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add remaining marinade; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, for the spinach pesto, place spinach, almonds, oil, water, vinegar, 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) of the matcha blend, sea salt, pepper and garlic powder in food processor or blender container; cover. Process until well blended and smooth. If pesto is too thick, blend in an additional 1 to 2 tbsp (15-30 mL) of water until smooth.
Remove cod from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. Place cod in large shallow foil-lined baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) matcha blend and additional salt and pepper, if desired. Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
For the tomato salad, mix tomatoes, cucumber and reserved 1 tbsp (15 mL) marinade in small bowl; toss to coat well.
To serve, evenly spread pesto on each plate. Top each with a cod fillet. Spoon tomato salad over cod.