All You Need
- 6 slices of bacon, finely chopped
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-in (2 cm) dice (approx. 8 cups)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) McCormick Gourmet Sage Leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Nutmeg
- Club House Sea Salt Grinder and Club House Black Peppercorn Grinder, to taste
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh bread, cut into small cubes (approx. 6 slices)
- 1 carton (473 mL) cooking (15%) cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated old cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350oF (180°C).
In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, sweat the bacon over medium-low heat until it is lightly browned.
Add the onion, squash and spices. Cover and sweat over low heat for 15 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
Remove from heat, add the bread cubes, and stir so that all the juices are absorbed. Set aside.
Beat the cream and the eggs. Add to the Dutch oven and mix well.
Transfer the mixture to a large (4 qt/4 L) casserole dish that has been well buttered and floured.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 minutes. Serve.