Cauliflower Risotto with Mushrooms and Truffle Oil
Using grated cauliflower instead of rice, this risotto relies on umami-rich wild mushrooms and Parmesan cheese to lend an intense savoury and meaty flavour.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Makes: 6 servings
All You Need
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 8 oz (225 g) assorted mushrooms, such as shiitake, oyster and cremini, sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Prepared Minced Garlic
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Cooking Stock
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Thyme Leaves
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp (5 mL) truffle oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) McCormick Gourmet Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Chopped fresh Italian parsley
Grate cauliflower with hand grater. Set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes longer or until mushroom are lightly browned, taking care not to burn garlic. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
Bring chicken stock and thyme to simmer in small saucepan on low heat. Set aside on low heat. Add cauliflower to skillet on medium heat. Stirring constantly, add warmed stock mixture, ¼ cup (50 mL) at a time, until liquid is absorbed by cauliflower after each addition. (It takes about 30 minutes for all of the stock mixture to be absorbed and the cauliflower to become tender.)
Stir in mushrooms, cream, butter, Parmesan cheese, truffle oil, sea salt and pepper. Let risotto stand on very low heat 5 minutes to allow flavours to blend. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.