Banana ketchup is a popular Filipino condiment made from mashed bananas, sugar, vinegar and spices. Use with fried rice and noodles, eggs, hot dogs, burgers, fries, fish, pork and chicken.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Makes: 4 cups (1 L) or 32 (2 tbsp/30 mL) servings
All You Need
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp (10 mL) McCormick Gourmet Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Jalapeño Pepper
- ¾ tsp (3 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Turmeric
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Allspice
- 4 (2 cups) ripe bananas, mashed
- 6 tbsp sugar
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
Heat oil in medium saucepan on medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, jalapeño, turmeric and allspice; sauté 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Stir in bananas, vinegar, sugar and sea salt. Bring to simmer on medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Let cool 10 minutes.
Spoon mixture into blender or food processor; cover. Blend on high 1 minute or until smooth. With centre part of cover removed and blender on, slowly pour in water and blend until the consistency is similar to traditional ketchup.
Storage Tip: Store ketchup in clean, tightly covered container or jar in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Tip! Use Banana Ketchup to prepare Pinoy Pork BBQ with Green Mango Slaw.