Matcha Green Tea Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
This subtly sweet cake gets its green tea flavour and colour from a matcha spice blend enhanced with ginger and lemon peel. Layered with lemon curd and topped with a cream cheese frosting, this dessert offers a welcome twist to classic layer cakes.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Makes: 12 servings
All You Need
- Matcha Green Tea Cake:
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) flour
- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) McCormick Gourmet Matcha Green Tea with Ginger Seasoning
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lemon curd
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 package (250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Pure Lemon Extract
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). For the cake, grease bottom and side of 1 (9-in/23 cm) round cake pan with no stick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper.
In medium bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. In large bowl, beat flour, sugar, sour cream, melted butter, matcha blend and baking powder with electric mixer on low speed to moisten. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Gently stir in egg whites until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
For the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter together until light and fluffy. Add icing sugar and lemon extract. Beat until smooth.
Slice cake in half horizontally to form 2 thin layers. Place 1 of the layers on serving platter and spread with lemon curd. Top with second cake layer. Frost top and side of cake with the frosting. Lightly garnish with grated lemon peel, if desired.