Pickled Peach and Black Beluga Lentil Toasts
Protein-packed black beluga lentils are tossed with herbs then spooned on crispy toasts topped with crème fraîche and pickled peaches to create this eye-appealing starter course.
- Prep Time: 15 min + 1 hr refrigeration
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Makes: 12 (2 toast) servings
All You Need
- PICKLED PEACH
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Mustard Seed
- 1 ripe peach, pitted and finely chopped
- BLACK BELUGA LENTIL TOASTS
- ½ cup (125 mL) dried black beluga lentils
- 1 ½ cup (375 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh chives, divided
- ½ tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Thyme Leaves
- ½ cup (125 mL) crème fraîche
- 24 thin baguette slices, toasted
For the Pickled Peach, bring vinegar, sugar and mustard seed to simmer in small saucepan on medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes to cool. Pour over chopped peach in small bowl; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour or until chilled.
Meanwhile, for the Lentil Toasts, rinse and drain lentils. Place lentils, water and sea salt in small saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat and uncover. Cool to room temperature in remaining liquid. Drain.
Mix drained lentils, oil, 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the chives and thyme in medium bowl until blended. To serve, spread about 1 tsp (5 mL) crème fraîche on toasted baguette slice. Top with about 1 tbsp (15 mL) lentil mixture and 1 tsp (5 mL) Pickled Peach. Garnish with remaining chives.
Tip! Black beluga lentils are small, shiny black when cooked - resembling caviar. They have a mild, earthy flavour and soft texture. They are most commonly found dried in natural food stores, the organic section of some supermarkets or online specialty stores.