Lentil and Peach Salad with Tarragon Mustard Vinaigrette
Packed with nutrients, colour and texture, this salad features black beluga lentils, ripe peaches, crunchy pecans, tangy Peppadew peppers and fresh arugula all dressed in a tarragon mustard vinaigrette.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min + 1 hr Refrigeration
- Makes: 9 (1/2 cup/125 mL) servings
All You Need
- TARRAGON MUSTARD VINAIGRETTE
- ¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) prepared coarse ground mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) McCormick Gourmet Tarragon Leaves
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) McCormick Gourmet Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- LENTIL AND PEACH SALAD
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried black beluga lentils
- 2 ½ cups (625 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped peaches, divided
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped pecans, divided
- ¼ cup (50 mL) finely chopped drained Peppadew® peppers or pickled cherry or sweet red peppers, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped red onions, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby arugula leaves
Mix all Vinaigrette ingredients in small bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Set aside.
For the Salad, rinse and drain lentils. Place lentils and water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Let drain 15 minutes.
Place lentils in large serving bowl. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the Vinaigrette to lentils; toss to coat. Add 1 cup (250 mL) of the peaches, ¼ cup (50 mL) of the pecans, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the peppers, 1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) of the red onions and another 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the Vinaigrette; toss gently to coat. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Place remaining peaches, pecans, peppers and red onion on top of the lentil salad. Arrange arugula around the lentil salad. Drizzle remaining Vinaigrette over the salad.
Tip! Black beluga lentils are small, shiny black when cooked - resembling caviar. They have a mild, earthy flavour and soft texture. They are most commonly found dried in natural food stores, the organic section of some supermarkets or online specialty stores.
Tip! Peppadew peppers are a sweet, slightly spicy South African pepper that can be found in the jarred olive and pickle aisle of some groceries or online specialty stores.