Herbed Vegetable Pancakes with Yogurt Goat Cheese Sauce
Crisp, savoury vegetable pancakes are light enough to be served as an appetizer or side yet satisfying when enjoyed as an entrée. Topped with a flaxseed spiced Greek yogurt, this flavourful dish is sure to get anyone to eat their veggies.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Makes: 5 servings
All You Need
- ½ cup (125 mL) plain nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) milk
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) goat cheese (chévre), softened
- 4 tsp (20 mL) McCormick Gourmet Italian Seasoning with Flax
- 1 1/8 tsp (5 1/2 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onion (1 large)
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped green bell pepper (1/2 pepper)
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated carrots (1 large)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) finely chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby spinach leaves, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (125 mL) plain bread crumbs
- ½ tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated zucchini, squeezed dry (1 medium)
For the yogurt sauce, mix yogurt, milk, goat cheese, 1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning and 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) sea salt in small bowl until smooth. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the pancakes, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, carrots and celery; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Refrigerate until chilled.
Beat eggs, bread crumbs, remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) Italian seasoning, 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt and pepper in medium bowl until well blended. Add zucchini and vegetable mixture; mix well. Refrigerate 5 minutes to allow mixture to firm up. Shape into 10 patties (2-in/5 cm in diameter, 1/4-in/0.5 cm thick), using about ¼ cup (50 mL) mixture for each patty.
Heat remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil in same skillet on medium-high heat. Add half of the patties; cook 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining patties. Serve vegetable pancakes with yogurt sauce.
Test Kitchen Tip: Flaxseed, or linseed, comes from the flax plant, which is an annual herb. The seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and fibre, and are commonly added to baked goods, smoothies, breakfast cereals and energy bars.
Oven Directions: Bake patties on a baking sheet in preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 15 minutes.