Grilled Mushroom and Fontina Toast with Balsamic Glaze
Smoked paprika, sage and an oak-aged Chardonnay enhance the rich, earthy flavour of this grilled mushroom and cheese toast. Drizzled with a balsamic glaze, this makes an irresistible meatless appetizer for a backyard entertaining.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Makes: Makes 14 (1 slice) servings
All You Need
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry white wine, such as oak-aged Chardonnay
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) McCormick Gourmet Organic Rubbed Sage
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Smoked Paprika
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) McCormick Gourmet Garlic Salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) sliced mushrooms, such as white or cremini (baby bella) mushrooms
- 1 loaf artisan bread, such as multi-grain, sourdough or country white (about 1 1/4 lb/625 g), cut into 1/2-in (1 cm) thick slices
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Fontina cheese, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tsp (20 mL) balsamic glaze
Mix wine, oil, sage, smoked paprika, garlic salt and pepper in large bowl. Add mushrooms; toss to coat well. Cover. Refrigerate 15 minutes or longer for extra flavour.
Grill mushrooms in grilling basket over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until tender and well browned, stirring occasionally. Grill bread slices 1 to 2 minutes per side or until grill marks appear.
Arrange bread slices in single layer on large perforated grilling tray or disposable aluminum grilling tray. Layer evenly with 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of the cheese and grilled mushrooms. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) cheese. Place tray on grill. Grill over medium-high heat with lid closed 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle toasts with parsley and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
To finish toasts in broiler: Arrange grilled bread slices in single layer on large foil-lined shallow baking pan. Top as directed with cheese and grilled mushrooms. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish as directed. Test Kitchen Tip: Balsamic glaze is a reduction of balsamic syrup. Use to drizzle over grilled meats, salads or even desserts. It can be found in some supermarkets shelved with the balsamic vinegar, gourmet or Italian markets, or online specialty stores.