Amaranth Vegetable Soup
Amaranth, an ancient grain that was an integral part of Aztec culture, is a powerhouse of nutrition. This comforting soup is perfect for those under-the-weather days.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
- Makes: 10 (1 cup/250 mL) servings
All You Need
- 2 pkgs (946 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Cooking Stock
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 4 cups (1 L) baby potatoes, halved
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced carrots
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 can (796 mL) canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced celery
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Club House Prepared Minced Garlic
- 4 Club House Bay Leaves
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Club House Black Pepper Grinder
- 1 cup (250 mL) amaranth grains
In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil on medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, excepting amaranth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 50 minutes, or until vegetables are almost soft.
Add amaranth and cook 30 minutes, until grains have softened. Remove bay leaves to serve.