Apple Beet and Quinoa Salad
This autumnal grain salad is a smorgasbord of flavour and texture — with protein-packed quinoa, sweet apple chips, ribbons of crunchy pickled red onion, earthy beets and more. For more recipes by Canadian chef Benjamin Leblanc-Beaudoin, search " Benjamin Leblanc-Beaudoin" for a complete list.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Makes: 8 servings
All You Need
- 1 large beet (or several small beets of different colours), greens removed
- 1 Club House Bay Leaf
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ½ tsp (2 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder, divided, plus more to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Billy Bee Honey, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Black Peppercorn Grinder, plus more to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) quinoa
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Empire apples
- 1 French shallot, finely diced
- 1 bunch flat leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raw cashews
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Ground Cinnamon
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Club House Pickling Spice
- 100 g smoked Ontario cheddar
For the beets: place in a pot with just enough water to cover beets. Add bay leaf and 2 tbsp (30 mL) salt; bring to a boil. Cook 30 minutes or until beet can be easily pierced with a paring knife. Drain and peel under cold running water; let cool. Finely dice and mix with 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey, remaining ½ tsp (2 mL) salt, pepper, and ½ tsp (2 mL) red wine vinegar.
For the quinoa: rinse quinoa under cold water and drain to remove bitterness. Bring 8 cups (2 L) water to a boil; add quinoa and cook 20 minutes, until grain starts to uncoil. Drain and cool in a single layer on baking sheet. Stir in 2 tbsp (30 mL) oil, lemon juice and zest. Add salt and pepper to taste. Core and finely dice 1 apple. Fold into quinoa with shallot, prepared beets, and parsley.
For the cashews: sauté in non-stick pan with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil, 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the apple chips: preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). With a mandolin, slice remaining apple very thinly (1/16-inch/2 mm thick). Place in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake 10 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through.
For the pickled red onions: thinly slice onion with mandolin. Bring sugar, water, remaining red wine vinegar, and pickling spice to a simmer. Remove from heat, add onions and refrigerate until chilled.
To assemble salad, place quinoa mixture in serving bowl. Shave cheese on top and layer with onions, apple chips, and cashews.
Tip: The flavours of this salad develop with time as it marinates, and it good to prepare the night before to maximize taste!