Giardiniere (Italian Garden Pickles)
Tangy pickled vegetables cut through the richness of traditional charcuterie and grilled meat. Don’t be afraid to amp up the spice or swap out herbs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Makes: 9 cups (2.25L) servings
All You Need
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, halved, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped fennel bulb
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped green beans
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Club House Pickling Spice
- 3 cups (750 mL) distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) kosher salt or pickling salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Fennel Seed or Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Whole Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 Club House Bay Leaf
Toss celery, bell pepper, onion, cauliflower, fennel, carrots, green beans and garlic in large bowl.
Brine: Measure Club House Pickling Spice into cheesecloth bag or square and tie.
In medium saucepan, bring vinegar, water, sugar, salt, fennel seeds, pepper, red pepper, bay leaf and spice bag to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove spice bag.
Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables, stirring. Divide among jars, pressing down to submerge. Let cool and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Tip: Use mandoline or a Japanese vegetable slicer for consistent, thin slices.
Tip: Serve on charcuterie platters, grilled meats, sandwiches or in salads and pastas.