All You Need
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) Club House Pickling Spice
- 15 cups (3750 mL) peeled, chopped tomatoes (about 15)
- 3 cups (750 mL) peeled, chopped peaches (about 6)
- 3 cups (750 mL) peeled, chopped pears (about 6)
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) chopped onions (about 4)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped green bell pepper (1 large)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped red bell pepper (1 large)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) white vinegar (5% acetic acid by volume)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) pickling salt
- 0 Cheesecloth, to wrap Club House Pickling Spice
Wash and sterilize the canning jars, screw bands and snap lids according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Measure Club House Pickling Spice and place in cheesecloth, creating a spice bag. Set aside.
In large heavy stainless steel or enameled saucepan, combine tomatoes, peaches, pears, onions, bell peppers, vinegar, sugar, salt and spice bag.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until volume is reduced by half, approximately 3 ½ hours, stirring frequently.
Carefully fill hot sterilized canning jars, leaving ½-in (1 cm) head space. Wipe jar rim to remove any stickiness. Place snap lid on jar; apply screw band until just finger tight. Transfer to a boiling water bath and cover jars with 2-in (5 cm) boiling water. Cover and boil 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. Check seals. Wipe, label and store the jars in a cool, dry, dark place.
Tips: • Replace white sugar with packed brown sugar • Replace white vinegar with cider vinegar (5% acetic acid by volume) • For a spicier Chili Sauce, add 1-2 tsp (5-10 mL) Club House Crushed Red Pepper to the spice bag