Bread and Butter Pickles
A delicious way to use up summer's bounty! Crunchy, tart and salty, a jar of these makes a great hostess gift, addition to a food-themed gift basket, or a "just because" treat for a friend.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Makes: 15 servings
All You Need
- 20 cups (5000 mL) thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (5 lb/2.2 kg)
- 8 cups (2000 mL) thinly sliced white onions (2 lb/ 1 kg)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) pickling salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Club House Pickling Spice
- 3 cups (750 mL) white vinegar
- 5 cups (1250 mL) white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps (7 mL) Club House Ground Turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsps (7 mL) Club House Mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Celery Seed
- 0 Cheesecloth, to wrap Club House Pickling Spice
Wash and sterilize the canning jars, screw bands and snap lids according to the manufacturer’s directions
Toss prepared cucumbers and onions with salt in large bowl. Top with plate. Place heavy weight on plate; let stand 30 min. Drain 5 min.
Measure Club House Pickling Spice and place in cheesecloth, creating a spice bag
In large saucepan, bring remaining ingredients and spice bag to boil, stirring occasionally.
Add drained vegetables; return to rolling boil. Vegetables will turn yellowy-green. Remove spice bag.
Carefully fill hot sterilized canning jars, leaving ½-in (1 cm) head space, making sure vegetables are covered with brine. Wipe jar rim removing any residue. Place snap lid on jar; apply screw band until just finger tight. Transfer to a boiling water bath and cover jars with 2-in (5 cm) boiling water. Cover and boil 10 minutes. Remove and let cool. Check seals. Wipe, label and store jars in a cool, dark place.