Japanese 7 Spice Brisket Sandwiches with Fennel Slaw
Add a Japanese twist to the classic barbecue brisket sandwich by rubbing the meat with a 7 spice blend, also known as Shichimi Togarashi, before grilling. Serve with a fresh carrot and fennel slaw.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Makes: 12 servings
All You Need
- 3 tbsps (45 mL) Japanese 7 Spice Blend (Shichimi Togarashi) (see recipe on Flavour.ca)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sea salt
- 4 lb beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup (250 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Beef Cooking Stock
- 12 sandwich rolls
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) orange juice
- 2 tbsps (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsps (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) julienned carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced fennel
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced red onion
- 1 can (398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) ketchup
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Japanese 7 Spice Blend (Shichimi Togarashi) (see recipe on Flavour.ca)
- 2 tbsps (30 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce
Prepare grill for indirect medium heat (325°F/160°C). Preheat grill by turning all burners to high.
For the Brisket, mix Spice Blend and sea salt. Place brisket, fat side up, in 13x9-in (33x22 cm) disposable foil pan. Rub all over with seasoning mixture. Pour stock around brisket. Cover with foil.
Turn burner on 1 side to medium-high. Turn off burner(s) on other side. Place pan on unlit side of grill. Close grill. Grill 3 hours or until brisket is tender. Remove brisket from grill. Let stand 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, for the Fennel Slaw, mix vinegar, orange juice, granulated sugar, oil and sea salt in large bowl until well blended. Add carrots, fennel and red onion; toss to coat well. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the BBQ Sauce, mix tomato sauce, ketchup, firmly packed brown sugar, Japanese 7 Spice Blend, rice wine vinegar, and soy sauce in medium saucepan on high heat. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 20 minutes or until slightly thickened and sauce is reduced to about 2 cups (500 mL), stirring occasionally.
To serve, slice brisket. Serve in rolls with BBQ Sauce and Fennel Slaw.