All You Need
- 1 loaf French bread
- 60 g (2 oz) Gruyère or Manchego cheese
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter, divided
- 1 lb (454 g) large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 2 tsps (10 mL) Club House Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Basil Leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Ground Cayenne Pepper
- roasted red peppers, chopped (optional)
- fresh chives, chopped (optional)
Slice bread on the diagonal into 24 (½-in / 1 cm thick) slices. Place on baking sheet; broil until lightly toasted on both sides. Using a vegetable peeler, shave cheese into very thin slices. Set aside.
Heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the butter in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir 2 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Add wine, vanilla, basil and red pepper; cook 2 to 4 minutes. Remove shrimp from pan. Boil sauce 1 minute; remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining butter, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time. The butter must melt gradually to form a creamy sauce.
To assemble appetizers, brush toasted bread slices with warm sauce from skillet. Top with 1 to 2 thin slices of cheese, then 1 to 2 shrimp (depending on size); brush with additional sauce. Garnish with roasted red pepper and chives, if desired.