All You Need
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) lean ground beef or lamb
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Thyme Leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Ground Cloves or Allspice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp (20 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Beef or No Salt Added Chicken Cooking Stock
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) half-and-half (10%) cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and cook, stirring until slightly softened, 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute. Add beef and cook, breaking up with wooden spoon until just browning, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle in thyme, 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, pepper and cloves. Cook, stirring until beef is browned and cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
Sprinkle in flour, Worcestershire, stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, 6 minutes. Stir in peas and transfer to 2 qt (2 L) casserole dish.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return to pot over medium heat; cook, shaking pot, until dry, 1 minute. Stir in cream, butter and remaining ½ tsp (2 mL) salt; mash until smooth. Spread evenly over beef mixture.
Bake on baking tray until potatoes are browned and beef mixture is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
Tip: Switch up frozen peas for frozen corn or make a delish combo.
Tip: If using ground lamb, swap up thyme for Club House Rosemary Leaves.
Mash sweet potatoes with good pinch of Club House Ground Nutmeg.