All You Need
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) milk
- 3/4 lb (375 g) each lean ground beef and pork
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce, divided
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) Club House Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Ground Cloves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Beef Cooking Stock
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ketchup
Heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring until caramelized, 10-12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine bread, milk and let stand 5 minutes to absorb. Add beef, pork, egg, 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce, salt, pepper, ginger and cloves, mixing with clean hands until combined.
Add half of the onion to beef mixture and combine. Form into 6, 3-in (7.5 cm) oval patties and set aside.
For the gravy, return pan with remaining onion to medium heat and add butter, scraping bottom of pan with wooden spoon. Stir in stock, ketchup, remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce and cook, stirring until sauce is thickened and reduced, about 3 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.
Wipe frying pan. Heat remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil over medium heat. Add patties and cook until browned and no longer pink inside (internal temperature of at least 160°F/71°C), 6-8 minutes. Stir in gravy and heat.
Tip: The trick to good caramelized onions is to let it cook without constantly stirring. Add a splash of water if becoming too dark and scrape up the delicious browned bits with a wooden spoon.
Tip: Garnish with chopped green onion, chopped parsley and toasted sesame seeds.
Tip: Serve with mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables or a bright green salad.