All You Need
- 4 cups (1000 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Cooking Stock
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced onions
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) farro grain
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) no salt added diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Club House Tuscan-Inspired Tomato & Herb Signature Blend
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1-in (2.5 cm) diced cooked asparagus
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
Heat stock in a medium saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
Heat oil in a large saucepan, on medium-high heat. Add the onions, cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
Add farro and cook, stirring constantly until toasted, about 3 minutes. Add the wine, tomatoes and seasoning; stir constantly until liquid is almost absorbed, about 2 minutes.
Add ½ cup (125 mL) of the warm broth and stir constantly until completely absorbed. Continue adding remaining broth, ½ cup (125 mL) at a time, until the farro is creamy and cooked through, about 30 minutes.
Turn off the heat and stir in the asparagus, parmesan and butter. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Chef’s Tip: If farro grain is not available, try using barley or traditional arborio rice. Try substituting the asparagus with green beans or peas.