Bring a latin flavour to your kitchen with empanadas! In this version, the classic savoury stuffed pocket is filled with seasoned ground turkey and traditional accompaniments such as olives and raisins. ¡Buen apetito!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Makes: 24 (1 empanada) servings
All You Need
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 lb (250 g) ground turkey
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Oregano Leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped, pitted green olives
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) raisins
- 2 packages (400g each) refrigerated pie crusts (4 crusts)
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add turkey; cook and stir until no longer pink. Stir in garlic powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, thyme and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low; simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in almonds, olives and raisins.
Prepare crusts as directed on package. On lightly floured surface, roll each crust into 12-in (30 cm) circle. Using 4-in (10 cm) round cutter, cut each into 6 circles for a total of 24 circles. Spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) of filling onto half of each circle. Moisten edge of each with water. Fold in half; press edge with a fork to seal. Place 2 in (5 cm) apart on ungreased baking sheets. Pierce top of each with fork to vent.
Bake 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.