All You Need
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped onion
- 1 squash, peeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) chunks (2 lb/900 g)
- 1 medium green apple, cored and cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) chunks
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) orange juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) McCormick Gourmet Ground Nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- 1 3/4 cup (425 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Cooking Stock
Melt butter in large saucepan on medium-low heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add squash, apple, pecans and brandy, if desired. Cook on medium heat 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
Stir in orange juice, ground ginger, nutmeg and stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
In a blender with centre part of cover removed to let steam escape, purée soup in batches in blender on high speed until smooth. Return puréed mixture to saucepan. Stir in whipping cream. Cook until heated through. Ladle into soup bowls.
Chef’s Tips: Use 1 tbsp (15 mL) brandy, if desired.