All You Need
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped ginger root
- 2 lb (1 kg) cubed stewing beef
- 1 pkg (42 g) Club House Beef Stew Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Black Peppercorns Grinder (Coarsely Ground), optional
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each Club House Crushed Red Pepper and Club House Ground Cloves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each soy sauce, Billy Bee Honey and Chinese rice wine
- 1 pkg (400 g) peeled, cubed squash (3 cups) or carrots
- 1 pkg (4 oz) shiitake mushrooms (stems removed) or cremini mushrooms 2 star anise (optional)
- 1 McCormick Gourmet Cinnamon Stick, broken
In a slow cooker, layer onion on bottom. Top with garlic, ginger, beef and sprinkle with Club House Beef Stew Seasoning, black pepper (optional), red pepper and cloves.
Drizzle soy sauce, honey, rice wine and 1 3/4 cup (425 mL) water.
Layer squash, mushrooms, star anise (if using), cinnamon stick and toss gently with beef, keeping onions on bottom. Cover and cook on low until beef is tender, 8-9 hours.
Tip: Swap out squash for daikon, a sharp Asian radish commonly used to flavour soups and stews.
Tip: Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, thinly sliced green onions and serve over hot rice or noodles.
Tip: In a pinch, substitute Chinese rice wine with Sherry.