Apple and Sausage Criss-Cross Pastry
Buttery puff pastry is stuffed with a savoury apple-sausage mixture. The quick and easy braiding makes this appetizer as impressive looking as it is delicious.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Makes: 12 servings
All You Need
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1/2 lb (250 g) pork sausage
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped apple
- 1 cup (250 mL) soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Rosemary Leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp (2 mL) Club House Ground Cinnamon
- sheet frozen puffy pastry, thawed (1/2 of 450g package)
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Beat 1 of the eggs and water in small bowl. Set aside. Mix remaining egg, sausage, apple, bread crumbs, cranberries, onion, rosemary and cinnamon in large bowl until well blended.
Unfold puff pastry on lightly floured surface. Cut lengthwise into 2 rectangles. Cut strips 1 in (2.5 cm) apart and 1 1/2 in (4 cm) across down long sides of each pastry rectangle. Spoon ½ of the sausage mixture down center of each pastry rectangle. Fold over 1 pastry strip at a time, alternating sides, to enclose sausage mixture. Place pastry on baking sheet. Brush with egg mixture.
Bake 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and sausage is cooked through. Cool on baking sheet 5 minutes. Cut each pastry into 6 pieces to serve.