Tomato and Roasted Peppers Spread
This dip of roasted bell peppers and tomatoes is richly seasoned with paprika, cumin, garlic and red pepper. Serve as part of a selection of dips with pita chips and bread along with marinated olives.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Makes: 2 cups (500 mL) or 16 (2 tbsp/30 mL) servings
All You Need
- 1 lb (500 g) green bell peppers
- 1 lb (500 g) red bell peppers
- 1 lb (500 g) plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Club House Paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
Place bell peppers on large baking sheet. Roast in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven 30 to 40 minutes or until skins begin to blister, turning bell peppers after 20 minutes. Transfer bell peppers to large plastic bag. Close bag. Let stand 15 minutes or until bell peppers are cool enough to handle. Peel off blistered skin. Remove tops, ribs and seeds. Coarsely chop bell peppers. Set aside.
Make an X in the bottom of each tomato. Place in saucepan of boiling water for 10 seconds. Transfer tomatoes with slotted spoon to bowl of ice water. Peel off skin then coarsely chop tomatoes.
Place bell peppers, tomatoes and seasonings in large skillet in medium-low heat. Cook 35 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are very soft, stirring frequently. Stir in sugar and tomato paste; cook 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in lemon juice.
Serve warm or at room temperature with pita or naan bread or crackers. (Or refrigerate until chilled to serve cold.)