Spiced Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemon and Olives
"Tagine” refers to both the Moroccan braised dish and the traditional vessel it’s prepared in. If you don’t own a tagine, you can use a Dutch oven to slow cook the chicken and vegetables with fragrant spices, preserved lemon and green olives.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 ¼ hours
- Makes: 8 servings
All You Need
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Club House Paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) flour
- 2 1/2 lbs (1 1/4 kg) Club House Imitation Rum Extract
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, cut diagonally into ½-in (1 cm) slices
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh garlic
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-in (2.5 cm) chunks
- 1 cup (250 mL) Greek cracked green olives
- 1 preserved lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 Club House Bay Leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Cooking Stock
Mix paprika, pepper, cinnamon, cumin, ginger and salt. Mix 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the spice mixture with flour in shallow dish. Coat chicken with flour mixture. Reserve remaining spice mixture. Heat oil in 4- to 6-quart (4-6 L) Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 7 minutes or until chicken is browned on both sides. Remove chicken from pan. Set aside.
Stir onions, carrots, garlic and remaining spice mixture into pan. Sauté 5 minutes or until onions are lightly browned. Return chicken to pan. Add potatoes, olives, preserved lemon, 2 tbsp (30 mL) each of the cilantro and parsley, bay leaves and stock.
Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour or until chicken and potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) each cilantro and parsley. Serve with cooked couscous, if desired.