Roasted Beet and White Bean Dip
Hummus and bean dips are mainstays in mezze, the casual appetizer course that begins many Middle Eastern meals. This vibrant take features roasted beets, creamy white beans, tahini, cumin and garlic. Serve with pita bread.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
All You Need
- 1/2 lb (250 g) medium beets, trimmed and cleaned
- 1 can (540 mL) white beans
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tahini
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet or Club House Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet or Club House Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) McCormick Gourmet or Club House Ground Cayenne Pepper
Wrap beets in foil. Place in shallow baking pan. Roast in preheated 425°F (220°C) oven 1 hour or until beets are tender when pierced with small knife. Cool until able to handle. Peel then coarsely chop beets.
Drain beans, reserving ¼ cup (50 mL) of the liquid. Place beets, beans, tahini, lemon juice and seasonings in food processor; cover. Process until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Add reserved liquid; process until smooth. Spoon dip into small bowl. Cover. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To serve, drizzle dip with olive oil. Garnish with chopped toasted pistachios or pepitas, if desired. Serve with warm pita wedges or pita chips.