Pickled Ginger, Green Tea & Chili Sour Salt
Make sea salt into the ultimate Asian finishing flavour by adding pickled ginger, rice wine vinegar, green tea leaves and crushed red pepper. Sprinkle over rice, noodle soups, chicken and fish dishes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 ¼ hours
- Makes: about 6 tbsp (90 mL) or 72 (¼ tsp/1 mL) servings
All You Need
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) pickled ginger slices
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) green tea leaves or matcha green tea powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Crushed Red Pepper
Pat dry ginger slices with paper towels. Place ginger on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated 275°F (135°C) oven 45 to 60 minutes or until ginger is dried. Cool slightly then coarsely chop.
Cook vinegar in medium nonstick skillet on medium heat 10 to 15 minutes or until reduced to 1 tbsp (15 mL). Add sea salt; cook and stir 5 minutes or until sea salt is dried.
Mix sea salt, chopped ginger, green tea and red pepper in small bowl until well blended. Store in tightly covered jar in cool, dry place. If needed, break up any clumps before using.