Matzo Ball Soup
Celebrate the Jewish holidays with a bowl of matzo ball soup. Prepare the matzo balls with vegetable shortening or the more traditional rendered chicken fat also known as schmaltz.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Makes: 6 servings
All You Need
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) matzo meal
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Rosemary Leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Coarse Grind Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) baking powder
- 1 container (946 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Cooking Stock, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable shortening
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 2 Club House Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Dill Weed
Mix matzo meal, eggs, salt, rosemary, pepper and baking powder in large bowl until well blended. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the chicken stock and vegetable shortening; mix just until blended. Form into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. Place on tray. Cover. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Meanwhile, cook and stir carrots, onion and celery in large saucepan or Dutch oven on medium heat until softened. Add remaining chicken stock and bay leaves. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low.
Gently add matzo balls to stock. Simmer 45 minutes or until matzo balls are tender. (Toothpick inserted into center of matzo ball slides in easily.) Sprinkle with dill. Ladle into soup bowls.