Kale, Bacon and Pistachio Pasta
In this fresh pasta sauce, kale, avocado and pistachios are puréed with chicken stock, garlic and Italian Seasoning for an easy dish that is high in nutrients and packed with flavour.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Makes: 8 servings
All You Need
- 1 pkg (450 g) pasta, such as campanelle or fusilli
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 cups (1 1/2 L) chopped kale, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onion
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) Kitchen Basics Unsalted Chicken Cooking Stock
- 1 tsp Club House Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) McCormick Gourmet Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shaved Parmesan cheese, divided
Cook pasta as directed on package. Drain well.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in large skillet on medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon. Drain on paper towels; crumble bacon. Set aside. Add 2 cups (500 mL) of the kale to drippings in skillet; sauté 1 to 2 minutes or just until kale is tender-crisp. Remove kale. Set aside. Add onion to skillet; sauté 2 minutes. (Add oil if needed.) Add chicken stock and seasonings; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes.
Place remaining 4 cups (1 L) kale in blender container. Add avocado, pistachios, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the Parmesan cheese and ½ of the crumbled bacon. Add hot stock mixture. Cover blender with lid with centre part removed. Cover lid with towel. Blend on low speed 15 seconds. Blend on high speed until mixture is smooth.
Place pasta in serving bowl. Top with kale sauce, cooked kale, remaining crumbled bacon and remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with additional chopped pistachios, if desired.