Spiced Date Cake with Caramel Sauce and Vanilla Whipped Cream
This cake is flavoured with a Middle Eastern spice blend, Shawarma, which contains warm, aromatic spices like allspice, coriander, cinnamon and ginger. Top this moist date cake with a spiced caramel sauce and vanilla whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Makes: 24 servings
All You Need
- 2 cups (500 mL) pitted dried dates
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Shawarma Spice Blend (recipe follows)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Shawarma Spice Blend (recipe follows)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Pure Vanilla Extract
For the Cake, place dates and water to cover in small saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat. Remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes. Drain dates. Place in food processor; cover. Process until just smooth. Set aside.
Mix flour, Spice Blend, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in yogurt and date mixture until well blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended. Pour batter into greased 13x9-in (33x22 cm) baking pan.
Bake in preheated 350°F (180°C) oven 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
For the Caramel Sauce, cook granulated sugar in medium heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium heat 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown, without stirring, swirling pan occasionally. Add butter; stir until melted. Add cream; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in Spice Blend and vanilla.
For the Vanilla Whipped Cream, beat all ingredients in large bowl with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Serve cake with Caramel Sauce and Vanilla Whipped Cream.