Pavlova with Pomegranate and Berries
Pavlova is a meringue with a wonderful chewy yet marshmallow interior with the addition of vinegar, finished with a dollop of cream and fruit.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour + 1 hour cooling time
- Makes: 8-10 servings
All You Need
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) superfine sugar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Potato Starch
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) white vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Imitation French Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Club House Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) Billy Bee Honey
- 2 cups (500 mL) berries
- 1 cup (250 mL) pomegranate seeds
Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Line baking tray with parchment paper; draw an 8-inch (20 cm) circle and set aside.
In stand mixer, whip egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Sprinkle in sugar with mixer running, 1 spoonful at a time until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 3 minutes. Beat in starch, vinegar, vanilla and cinnamon.
Spoon into circle drawn on the parchment, making a deep well in centre to nest for berries. Bake until very pale, eggshell colour, about 1 hour. Turn oven off and leave oven door slightly ajar using wooden spoon handle. Let cool 1 hour in oven. Remove.
Before serving, whip cream to soft peaks, using a whisk attachment on an electric mixer. Fold honey into whipped cream. Spoon into centre of meringue; top with berries and pomegranate.
Tip: To draw the 8-inch (20 cm) circle, trace the bottom of an 8-inch (20 cm) round cake pan.
Tip: Use fingers to feel for a smooth, glossy meringue. Continue whisking if gritty.
Tip: Baked meringue will crack and settle as it cools, creating its signature exterior.