All You Need
- 1 cup (250 mL) olive oil
- ¾ cup (175 mL) Billy Bee Honey
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) ground almonds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Club House Pure Almond Extract
- 1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Billy Bee Honey
- ½ tsp (2 mL) Club House Pure Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Brush two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans with olive oil; line bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk oil, honey and egg yolks. Stir in flour, almonds, baking powder and salt until just combined.
Beat egg whites with whisk attachment in bowl of stand mixer or hand mixer on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar until glossy and stiff, about 3 minutes. Beat in almond extract. Fold into flour mixture until just combined. Divide between prepared pans, smoothing top.
Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and parchment; let cool.
Meanwhile, make frosting. Beat cream cheese, icing sugar, honey and vanilla with paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy, 4 minutes.
Place 1 cake layer on cake stand or plate and spread with half of the frosting. Top with 2nd cake layer and spread remaining frosting on top with swooping motion to create waves.
Tip! Cold eggs are easier to separate. Let whites stand at room temperature before whipping for greater volume.
Tip! Brush warm cakes with honey for a deeper honey flavour.