Gingered Banana Tarts with Coconut Ice Cream
Warm slices of gingered bananas top crisp puff pastry for a simply spectacular dessert. Homemade coconut ice cream is a creamy, exotic complement. If short on time, purchased ice cream is a great alternative. Photo credit: Katie Goodman from Good Life Eats.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Makes: 8 servings
All You Need
- Coconut Ice Cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- 1 can Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Pure Vanilla Extract
- Gingered Banana Tarts
- 8 tbsp (120 mL) butter, melted, divided
- 8 tbsp (120 mL) packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Ground Ginger
- 4 small firm ripe bananas, sliced diagonally to ¼-inch (0.5 cm) slices
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed and quartered
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) flaked coconut, toasted
For the Ice Cream, beat egg yolks and sugar in medium saucepan with wire whisk 1 to 2 minutes or until pale yellow and thickened. Add cream and coconut milk; whisk until well blended. Stirring constantly, cook on medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Strain custard into medium metal bowl. Stir in vanilla. Place bowl over ice water bath. Stir custard occasionally until cooled.
Refrigerate at least 3 hours or until well chilled. Pour into an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
For the Tarts, preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Pour 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter into each of 4 shallow individual baking dishes or ramekins. Sprinkle each evenly with 2 tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ginger. Layer 1 sliced banana in each dish, overlapping slices as necessary. Top with puff pastry, tucking corners in. Place baking dishes on shallow baking pan.
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown and filling is bubbly. Invert each tart onto a dessert plate. Cut each tart in half to make 2 servings. Serve with Coconut Ice Cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.