All You Need
- 1 cup (250 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups (400 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 tsp (5 mL) Club House Imitation Coconut Extract
- 2 3/4 cups (675 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp (12 mL) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- 1 1/4 cup (250 mL) Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk
- 1 pkg (250 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Imitation Coconut Extract
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk
- 2 cups (500 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 4 cups (1 L) sliced strawberries (about 1 lb/500 g)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 13-x 9-inch (33-x-23 cm) baking pan with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper, leaving overhang on two sides.
Beat butter and sugar in stand mixer with paddle attachment on medium speed until light and creamy, 4-5 minutes. Scrape sides and bottom. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time; beat in extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Beat into butter mixture on low speed alternating with milk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of milk.
Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack 15 minutes; invert onto cooling rack and remove paper. Let cool completely and turn cake over to flat side.
Frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, coconut milk and extract in stand mixer with paddle attachment on low speed until smooth. Add icing sugar and beat until just smooth, don’t overbeat.
Spread frosting over top of cake. Decorate top with strawberries to resemble a Canada flag.
Test Kitchen Tip: Bake the cake up to 2 days ahead, let cool completely, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
Test Kitchen Tip: Substitute sliced strawberries for raspberries; no slicing means easy street!
Test Kitchen Tip: The secret to a smooth icing is to have cream cheese and butter at room temperature until softened. Scrape bottom and side of mixing bowl and continue to beat until smooth before adding icing sugar.