Grilled Steak Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
Flank steak is a naturally lean yet flavourful cut and is superbly matched with the smoky cedar marinade, finished with pineapple salsa for weeknight tacos.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes + 4 hours marinating time
- Makes: 12 servings
All You Need
- 1 flank steak (about 650 g)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Club House La Grille Smoky Cedar & Ale Flavoured Wet Rub, divided
- 2 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Club House Garlic, Prepared Minced
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) Club House Pepper, Coarse Cracked Black
- 12 small corn or flour tortillas, warmed (6-inch/15 cm)
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled queso fresco cheese
- Pineapple Salsa:
- 3 cups (750 mL) diced pineapple
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely diced red onion
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each lime juice and olive oil
Pierce steak all over with fork on both sides. Place in large resealable plastic bag; add 3 tbsp (45 mL) of the rub, half of the oil, garlic and pepper, massaging. Seal bag and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight, turning over halfway.
Salsa: Stir pineapple, green onion, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, oil and jalapeno in bowl. Cover and refrigerate up to overnight.
Remove steak from marinade; shaking off excess marinade. Brush with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil.
Preheat barbecue to medium-high and oil grill. Grill steak, covered, 4-6 minutes per side for medium-rare, brushing with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) rub last few minutes. Let stand 5 minutes and thinly slice across the grain.
Divide steak among warm tortillas, top with salsa and cheese.
Tip: Piercing flank steak allows the marinade to become absorbed over the lengthy marinating period.
Tip: Slicing against the grain minimizes the length of each muscle fiber allowing for less work for your jaw.
Tip: Shaking off excess marinade prevents the steak from steaming and not searing.
Tip: Grill until instant-read thermometer inserted in centre reads 140°F (60°C).