Quebec’s signature holiday meat pie of spices is given new life with chickpeas and fresh veggies still reminiscent of comfort cooking. Serve as a main course or as a side dish.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Makes: 8 servings
All You Need
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Sea Salt Grinder
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) ice water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Billy Bee Honey
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small potato, peeled and diced
- 1 McCormick Gourmet Bay Leaf
- 2 1/2 tsp (12 mL) Club House Roasted Garlic & Peppers Signature Blend Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Garlic Plus Signature Blend Seasoning
- 1 pkg (300 g) meatless ground round
- 2 cups (500 mL) Kitchen Basics No Salt Added Vegetable Cooking Stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) drained and rinsed canned chickpeas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Billy Bee Honey
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
Combine flour and salt in food processor, pulse to combine. Add butter and pulse until small crumbs form. Drizzle in cold water and honey through funnel while pulsing until ragged dough forms. Turn out onto work surface; divide into two mounds and form into discs.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 60 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat large saucepan over medium heat. Add butter, onion, carrot, potatoes, bay leaf, and seasonings; cook, stirring until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in meatless ground round, stock, chickpeas, and honey; cook until all liquid is absorbed, 10-15 minutes.
Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer to shallow bowl and stir to cool slightly. Refrigerate until cool.
Adjust oven rack to bottom third level and preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
Roll out both rounds of dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch (30 cm) circles. Fit one circle into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Fill with cooled meat mixture; place remaining dough over filling and top with cheese. Whisk egg with 2 tsp (10 mL) water and brush edge with egg wash, pressing to seal. Trim with scissors, leaving ½-inch (1 cm) overhang; tuck under bottom pastry and flute. Cut steam vent in top.
Brush top with egg wash and bake on baking sheet until pastry is golden brown and bubbly, 40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
Kitchen Tips: Roll out pastry scraps and cut out into desired shapes to decorate.
Make dough and filling up to 3 days ahead, separately. Bring filling up to room temperature before baking.