All You Need
- 4 cups (1 L) oil, for deep frying
- 1 lb (500 g) pork tenderloin, 1-in (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Thai Kitchen Fish Sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Billy Bee Liquid Honey
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) orange juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) light soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) ketchup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 2 (30 mL) oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger
- 1 cup (250 mL) 1-in (2.5 cm) diagonally sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 1-in (2.5 cm) cubed green pepper & peeled pineapple
Preheat fryer or wok with oil for deep frying.
Place pork in bowl, sprinkle with pepper, five spice and fish sauce; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Dip the pork in the egg, then in ¼ cup (50 mL) cornstarch, shaking off any excess. Deep fry to an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C), set aside.
To make sauce, blend together honey, vinegar, juices, soy sauce, wine, remaining cornstarch, ketchup and water; mix well and set aside.
In a wok on medium-high heat, add oil, garlic and ginger; stir-fry for 30 seconds.
Add onions and peppers; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add pineapple, pour in sauce and cook until thickened, approximately 2 minutes. Add pork, toss and serve.
Chef’s Tip: Substitute the pork for chicken breast.