All You Need
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) onion, diced
- 5 cups (1 1/4 L) diced winter squash, about 1 large squash
- 2 cups (500 mL) Kitchen Basics Original Chicken Stock
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Ground Allspice
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Billy Bee Honey
- salt and pepper to taste
In a soup pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, until onions begin to brown.
Add squash and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes until squash is tender.
Add allspice, honey and salt and pepper to taste.
Place mixture into blender and purée. Be careful as mixture will be very hot (see tip below). Pour back into the soup pot to bring the soup back up to temperature before serving.
Tip: Use care when processing hot items in a blender as the hot steam can sometimes blow the blender lid off. Start on a slow speed with the lid slightly ajar to vent any steam, then seal the lid and increase the blending speed.