Honey Ginger Orange Chicken
This tangy takeout classic comes together in no time and is bursting with flavour. Try it alongside rice and steamed broccoli for a restaurant-inspired meal.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Makes: 4 servings
All You Need
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 5 tsp (25 mL) minced fresh garlic, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) sesame oil
- 5 tsp (25 mL) Chinese cooking wine, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cider vinegar, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubed
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cornstarch, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- 2 1/4 tsp (11 mL) salt, divided
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) Liquid Honey 375 g Bear Billy Bee Honey
- 4 cup (1 L) oil, for frying
In a large bowl, mix together orange juice, ginger, 1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic, sesame oil, 1 tbsp (15 mL) wine and ½ tbsp (7 mL) cider vinegar. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 minutes.
To prepare the batter, in a large bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, and mix in the flour, 7 tbsp (100 mL) cornstarch, baking powder, ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt and ½ cup (125 mL) water. Mix until batter is smooth.
Put chicken cubes into batter, mix well, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For the sauce, in a pot, add 2 tsp (10 mL) garlic, honey, 2 tsp (10 mL) salt, 2 tsp (10 mL) cooking wine, ½ tbsp (7 mL) cider vinegar, ½ cup (125 mL) water and 2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch; whisk to combine. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Heat up a wok with oil to deep fry. Gently drop in the battered chicken, one by one, and cook to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
In a clean bowl, toss chicken and sauce together. Serve immediately.