Cinnamon Honey Hot Cross Buns
Hot cross buns perfect as a side dish and tea break. Make it presentable by putting a crisscross made of Cake Mate Sugar Sprinkles.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Rising Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 - 18 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
All You Need
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) whole wheat flour
- 1 package (8 g) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110°F/45°C)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Billy Bee Honey
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) milk
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 1 egg
- 1/8 tsp (1/2 mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Club House Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) each raisins and chopped dried apricot
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) icing sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Club House Pure Vanilla Extract
- Cake Mate Decors or Cake Mate Sugar Sprinkles
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a medium bowl, combine the yeast, warm water and honey. Let sit.
In a saucepan, heat ¼ cup (50 mL) milk. Add the brown sugar and butter until melted. Add 2 cups (500 mL) flour, the yeast mixture and egg. Mix together with a wooden spoon, using your hands if needed, to bring the mixture together. Add the salt, cinnamon, raisins, apricot and remaining flour.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 3-5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
Punch dough down, divide into 12 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until double, 30-45 minutes.
Make a crisscross slash across the top of each bun. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool on wire racks.
If desired, combine icing sugar, 3 tbsp (45 mL) milk and vanilla extract. Spread glaze over cooled buns or pipe in a cross shape on top of the bun and sprinkle with Cake Mate décors or sprinkles.