Substitute honey for sugar in your favourite sweet treats for a tasty alternative.
Bold and musky, or herbal and aromatic, honey is a versatile must-have for every baker’s pantry. Its natural taste is a treat for any sweet tooth! Use this natural ingredient instead of sugar to complement the flavours in your next batch of cookies. But before you make the switch, make sure to follow our top five tips for baking with honey:
- The darker the honey, the stronger the taste. Choose something light and neutral that won’t overpower the flavour of your delicacies.
- Use ¾ cup of honey to replace 1 cup of sugar. If your recipe calls for less sugar, let our handy honey calculator below guide the way.
- If your recipe doesn’t include baking soda, add ¼ tsp of baking soda for each cup of sugar replaced.
- Using more than 1 cup of honey? Lessen additional liquid ingredients by ¼ cup per cup of honey – it retains more moisture than sugar.
- Slow it down – baked goods made with honey will brown faster in the oven. Lower your oven temperature by about 25°F to prevent browning.
Honey is one of our favourite ingredients when crafting delectable treats. Share these goodies anywhere, any time – they’ll add just the right amount of sweetness to your day. For us, nothing beats a brunch that features a slice of warm, sweet banana bread. A dash of nutmeg complements the honey to bring your palate a woodsy and fruity experience that will make you forget you ever used sugar in the first place.